Featured in “BoxMac 137: Pfaltzgraff”
1 Pound Box DeCecco Orecchiette pasta
12oz Cabot Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
8oz Shredded Gruyere Cheese
8oz Velveeta Block Cheese, cut into pieces
2 Granny Smith Apples, not peeled, cored and diced.
1 Small Shallot, chopped
1 Stick Butter (4oz)
2 tbsp flour
2 cups Milk
2/3 cup apple cider (optional)
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1. Start pasta boiling in salted water. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In a saucepan, melt 3 tbsp butter, and cook diced apples until soft. We didn’t do it in the episode but if I did it again, I’d also put a 2/3 cup of cider in here and let it reduce some with the apples to give it a more apple flavor.
3. Take apples out and put in a bowl. Add 2 more tbsp butter and chopped shallots to same pan, and sauté until fragrant.
4. Add Flour and stir until flour is cooked.
5. Add Milk and bring up to temperature, and slowly add cheese in parts, waiting for cheese to be fully melted before adding more. Save some of the sharp cheese to put on top. Add salt and pepper to cheese sauce to taste.
6. Drain pasta, mix cheese and pasta in baking dish. Add extra cheese on top.
7. Bake for 20 minutes covered and Enjoy.