Featured in “BoxMac 151: Utz Cheese Ball Mac”
10 oz UTZ Brand Balls
1 pound pasta (We used Cara Mamma Lumaconi)
1/2 stick of butter (We used Kate’s)
2 tbsp of Flour
4 oz Heavy Cream
4 oz Whole Milk
4 oz Sour Cream (We used light sour cream)
8 oz Cabbot Seriously Sharp Cheddar Shredded Cheese
4 oz Cabbot Extra Sharp Cheddar Shredded Cheese
4 oz Cottage Cheese
Salt for seasoning and pasta water
- Strip cheese balls of cheese using a cheese grater. The idea is to remove the cheese from the balls while leaving most, but not all, of the corn center behind.
- Salt and bring pasta water in a large pan to a boil and add pasta.
- In a sauce pan, melt butter, then add flour and mix.
- Let flour\butter mix cook over med heat for 3 mins until just barely turning brown.
- Add heavy cream and whole milk. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir and heat until just steaming.
- Add sour cream. Stir until the lump of cream fully disappears. Stir and heat until just steaming.
- Add both Cabbot cheeses, stir continuously after adding cheese, until the cheese is fully melted.
- Add most of the UTZ cheese dust. Keep about 1/8th in reserve to sprinkle on the top of the finished mac.
- Stir until the UTZ dust is dissolved. Season to taste with salt.
- Add cottage cheese and stir until fully intergrated.
- Wait for pasta to finish, drain (do not rise) and return to pot.
- Add cheese sauce stirring gently to not break the noodles.
- Serve with remaining cheese dust on top of each portion.