Featured in BoxMac 88: 4th of July Mix-in Mac Fest 2017
1b Cracker Barrel Sharp Cheddar Mac
1 12-16oz sour cream depending on taste
8 Ounces Whatever Cheese you have around (I used a mix of cabot extra sharp and Monterey jack)
4 oz finely shredded sharp cheddar for top
1/2 stick butter
8 ounces Cooked grilled chicken breast
4 ounces fresh baby spinach
1. Open cheese pouch from mac and heat in a medium sauce pan. Add in the butter. Stir until melted.
2. Meanwhile, boil water for pasta, 8 cups, 1/2 tbsp salt. Cook the pasta until it is still quite firm, just enough so it doesn’t crunch.
3. Preheat oven to 400 F.
4. Once steaming slightly, add sour cream, stir until smooth, then slowly add 8 oz cheese.
5. Add spinach to cheese mix. Spinach will lose water and the mix will become watery.
6. Add chicken to cheese mix and let it heat back to temperature (until it steams slightly)
7. Once pasta is drained dump into 9×9 greased pyrex baking dish.
8. Pour cheese sauce mix over pasta, mix with wooden spoon until equal.
9. Bake in oven for 12 minutes.
10. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
11. Bake for 8 more minutes.
12. Broil on high until cheese on top is wonderful, and serve promptly. This mac also reheats very well with a little milk in the microwave.