Featured in BoxMac 88: 4th of July Mix-in Mac Fest 2017
1 package macaroni noodles
1 large apple, diced
4 slices maple smoked bacon, cubed
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
3 cups milk
1/2 cup cream cheese
1/2 cup smoked gruyere, shredded
1 cup sharp cheddar, shredded (more to taste)
– Cook the macaroni according to box instructions. Set aside.
– In a skillet, cook the bacon. As soon as the fat is rendered, add the apples. Cook until bacon begins to crisp and the apples are soft. Drain and set aside.
– Create a roux: in a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Sprinkle the flour over the top and mix until a thick paste forms (add more flour if it is too greasy, some more butter if too dry). Slowly whisk in the milk.
– Temper the egg into the mixture–in a separate bowl slowly whisk in some of the hot liquid until the egg has risen in temperature–and then whisk the tempered egg into the pot. Slowly add the cheese and cream cheese, mixing well after each addition.
– Toss the drained macaroni with the apples and bacon, and pour in the cheese. Mix well, and serve hot.